Accountable to: Operations Director
Employment Status: Non-exempt
Hours: Full Time
The volunteer manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of volunteer engagement at the statewide distribution center in Fargo. The position will recruit volunteers for food bank programs and activities; plan, coordinate and supervise projects in the volunteer center; arrange for volunteer support of office and warehouse operations, facility maintenance, and projects requiring skilled volunteers; and establish recognition programs for volunteers. The volunteer manager is expected to adhere to and to train volunteers working with food products on proper food handling including cleaning and sanitizing in accordance with the American Institute of Baking (AIB) requirements. With our values of passion, service and innovation at the forefront, this position will advance the mission of Great Plains Food Bank to end hunger together and our vision of a hunger-free North Dakota and Clay County, Minnesota.
Core Accountabilities and Essential Duties
- Volunteer Recruitment and Engagement
The volunteer manager engages and creates a positive experience for volunteers at the statewide distribution center to grow and enhance services.
- Recruits and selects volunteers for projects and programs.
- Assesses skill sets of volunteers to ensure proper project selection.
- Develops skills-based volunteer program.
- Takes and coordinates requests for volunteers.
- Tracks volunteer hours and related information in database.
- Recognizes volunteers through thank you letters, photos, Facebook posts and special events.
- Project Coordination
The volunteer manager oversees coordination and preparation of all aspects of volunteer projects.
- Plans, schedules, and implements projects.
- Prioritizes and organizes work load including project requests.
- Develops and establishes processes for repacking of products.
- Establishes timelines for projects adequately forecasting volunteer needs based on project timing and needs.
- Schedules and assigns volunteers to projects.
- Sets up projects including design of work areas and ensures proper materials and packing supplies are readily available.
- Trains volunteers on proper food handling and standards.
- Supervises volunteers throughout the project duration.
- Collaborates internally on volunteerism projects to ensure effective service delivery.
- Reporting & Paperwork
The volunteer manager ensures timely and complete tracking and reporting of inventory packed and volunteer hours contributed.
- Ensures adequate inventory of basic needed supplies.
- Prints necessary documents and labels for volunteers.
- Maintains spreadsheet of volunteer hours and recognition for reporting to Feeding America.
- Maintains accurate inventory and item weights of repacked products.
- Community Engagement
The volunteer manager represents the Great Plains Food Bank in the community, promoting volunteer and donation opportunities.
- Attends volunteer network meetings.
- Engages community in volunteer opportunities within the program.
- Provides warehouse tours to potential volunteers and the general public.
- Enhances Food Drive Program through effective partnerships with individuals and organizations.
- Staff Development and Direction
The volunteer manager builds on the strong culture of the organization and its people to form a cohesive, skilled, high-performing, engaged, and values-driven team through coaching, training and professional development opportunities.
- Recruits, hires, and supervises volunteer associate positions.
- Maintains scheduling of staff in accordance with volunteer calendar.
- Organizes workflow and ensures that employees understand their duties or delegated tasks.
- Monitors employee productivity and provide constructive feedback and coaching.
Education and Experience
Successful candidates for this position must hold a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 3 years of prior experience working with volunteers. Must have the ability to obtain forklift certification within 60 days of hire date along with Serv Safe Certification and AIB training within 90 days of employment. Valid driver’s license and ability to travel statewide.
Skills and Competencies
- Passionate about mission
- Proven ability in building and coaching a strong, diverse and engaged staff
- Inquisitive, strategic thinker
- Strong internal and external customer service skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with multi-faceted demands and deadlines
- Strong organizational skills and detail oriented, yet flexible with an adaptable personal style
- Critical thinking skills to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Strong communicator that possesses excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills
- Ability to build collaboration across teams and departments
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite