The Great Plains Food Bank is committed to food safety; ensuring that all food distributed throughout our network is wholesome and safe. Food safety is an essential component of our work and an enduring commitment.
To fulfill that commitment, the Great Plains Food Bank:
- Maintains compliance with the American Institute of Bakers (AIB) standards for food safety and passes an annual audit.
- Requires all employees who handle food product to obtain ServSafe certification and participate in all AIB and food safety related trainings.
- Implements food safety best practices using regulatory agencies, Feeding America, food industry partners and third-party auditors as resources.
- Measures compliance against performance standards on an ongoing basis, regularly convening an interdepartmental food safety committee, conducting regular self-inspections, and third-party audits.
- Ensures continual improvement in food safety performance by considering food safety implications in decision-making, researching and applying industry best practices.