The Great Plains Food Bank needs volunteers every day to help sort, label, and repack donated and bulk foods, assemble boxes and bags for special programs, provide administrative support, and assist/lead Mobile Food Pantry and Senior Food Pack distributions. Our goal is to provide the best possible volunteer experience and prepare our volunteers to become outspoken hunger advocates in our community. When you donate your time to the Great Plains Food Bank, you become a partner in the fight against hunger in North Dakota and Clay County, Minnesota.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have implemented the following guidelines for our volunteers:
- We CANNOT accept volunteers that:
- Are not feeling well, especially if they have a fever or cough.
- Have traveled internationally or traveled domestically to a COVID-19 “hot spot” and returned less than 14 days ago.
- Who have been or likely have been exposed to COVID-19.
- Our volunteers MUST:
- Wear masks at all times while they are inside the Great Plains Food Bank warehouse.
- Wash hands immediately upon entering the volunteer center.
- Put on gloves immediately after washing hands.
- Rewash hands and put on new gloves after using the restroom or any time they have removed their gloves.
- Avoid touching their eyes, nose or mouth and wash their hands and put on new gloves if they do.
- Cover their nose and mouth if they sneeze or cough then wash your hands and put on new gloves.
- Practice social distancing at all times.
- Volunteers will be led back to the volunteer center where they will wash their hands, put on gloves and be given instructions for their shift.
- Projects will be set up to allow for social distancing.
- Volunteer staff will also practice social distancing.
- The volunteer area and equipment will be thoroughly sanitized between each shift.
- We are currently limited the number of volunteers for each shift to 10 individuals.
Our warehouses are limiting volunteer shifts to an hour and 45 minutes at a time, which will allow us time between each shift to clean and sanitize all volunteer work areas, and limit the total number of volunteers to 10 or fewer individuals for each shift.
Fargo Warehouse volunteer shifts currently are Monday through Friday and listed here:
Shift 1 – 8:30 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.
Shift 2 – 11:00 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
Shift 3 – 2:00 p.m. – 3:45 p.m.
Shift 4 – 4:30 p.m. – 6:15 p.m.
Bismarck Warehouse volunteer shifts currently are Monday through Friday and listed here:
*Shift times subject to change.
Monday - 11:00 a.m – 1:00 p.m.
Tuesday – 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Wednesday - 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Thursday – 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Friday – 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Mobile Food Pantry distributions:
Login to choose your shifts!
We are now offering self-scheduling for our Individual and Family volunteers through our online Volunteer Information Center. Opportunities available through self-scheduling mainly include repacking bulk items such as produce, assembling Senior Food Pack boxes, Mobile Food Pantry boxes, Backpacks or sorting through food drives. Large Group and Skilled volunteers are unable to self-schedule at this time as these require additional preparation and screening prior to scheduling.
- Groups of 5 of less interested in volunteering should register each volunteer individually.
- Large groups (up to 10 people), should complete a large group application. The large group application will have you designate a main contact which will allow us to then contact you to schedule your volunteer opportunity.
- All volunteers are required to register individually. Save time when arriving and sign up in advance!
- Our Volunteer Information Center allows you to track your own hours – great for youth looking to log service hours!
Complete the appropriate application at your desired location below to get started!
Log In to our Volunteer Information Center to sign up for you desired shift.
All volunteers will need to review and sign our COVID-19 volunteer guidelines located HERE before they are able to volunteer inside the Great Plains Food Bank.