Accountable to: Distribution & Logistics Manager
Employment Status: Non-exempt
Hours: Full Time
The local truck driver is responsible for driving a van or light truck to deliver and pick up donations to charitable agencies in an effort to reduce hunger. This position is responsible for handling, storing, processing and distributing donated food products in and around a specific service area. The local truck driver is responsible for ensuring inventory tracking and that product is delivered timely and safely. With our values of passion, service and innovation at the forefront, this position will advance the mission of the Great Plains Food Bank to end hunger together and our vision of a hunger-free North Dakota and Clay County, Minnesota.
Core Accountabilities and Essential Duties
1. Route Delivery
The local truck driver picks up and delivers product along assigned route.
• Drives vehicle for the purpose of transporting products to/from specified destinations.
• Ensures the safe operation and proper loading of assigned vehicle.
• Operates forklift and utilizes other equipment/tools to load/unload orders.
• Identifies and plans safe routes to ensure economical use of time and equipment.
• Picks up and delivers product to charitable organizations.
• Ensures orders and product are processed in accordance with standards.
• Inspects products.
• Loads and unloads product.
• Ensures inventory matches intake and order paperwork.
• Maintains logs of picked up and delivered product.
• Serves as relief driver for Bismarck Food Recovery Program.
2. Vehicle Maintenance/Inspection
The local truck driver monitors vehicle for routine maintenance needs.
• Inspects vehicles daily to ensure proper working condition.
• Maintains vehicles through light maintenance including fluid checks.
• Reports issues/needs to supervisor.
• Performs light vehicle maintenance duties.
• Ensures proper fueling and cleanliness.
• Completes proper inspection, temperature reports and maintenance paperwork for reporting purposes.
3. Warehouse Work
The local truck driver assists in distribution, inventory, and cleaning activities in the warehouse.
• Assists with shipping/receiving of orders including loading and unloading of trucks.
• Delivers orders from warehouse floor or refrigerator/freezer section.
• Picks cooler product to deliver to agencies on a daily basis using FIFO process of inventory control.
• Sweeps, dusts or mops warehouse to ensure cleanliness and orderliness in accordance with standards and regulations.
The local truck driver ensures thorough and timely completion of driving and inventory reporting.
• Completes inspections and driving paperwork as required.
• Files order pick up/drop off inventory sheets.
• Maintains records of products loaded and unloaded and distributed.
• Keeps accurate inventory and item weights to ensure conformance to procedures.
• Completes other paperwork as needed/required.
5. Other Duties
• Establishes and maintains effective, courteous relationships with employees, supervisors, clients, vendors, and the general public.
• Attends meetings and trainings as required.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Successful candidates for this position must have a high school diploma. Prior experience in driving a light delivery vehicle and/or warehouse work preferred. Candidates must have a valid Class D driver’s license and DOT Medical Card. Forklift and Serv Safe Certification required within 60 days of employment.
Skills and Competencies
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment with multi-faceted demands and deadlines
• Organized and detail oriented, yet flexible with an adaptable personal style;
• Strong customer service skills and willingness to assist others
• valid driver’s license as will have up to 80% daily travel a specific regional market;
• Flexibility to attend meetings and events in evenings and/or on weekends
• Willing to travel and fill in for BMFRP driver as needed
Significant requirement to exert intense physical effort with a consistent need to lift and bend. Exertion may require pushing, pulling and/or carrying greater than 50 lbs. requiring some physical discomfort. May require unusual environmental stress such as working at great heights or under extreme outdoor weather conditions. Safety precautions are required. Usually normal concentration and deadlines with periodic periods of sustained deadline pressure. Work may involve changing problems, circumstances or demand. Work potentially involves some risk to personal safety of injury, illness or health arising from the environment or the public/clients.
HOW TO APPLY
Contact for More Information:
Kate Molbert | Chief Operating Office
firstname.lastname@example.org | 701-476-9127