The Great Plains Food Bank needs volunteers every day to help sort, label, and repack donated and bulk foods, assemble boxes and bags for special programs, provide administrative support, and assist during special events. Our goal is to provide the best possible volunteer experience and prepare our volunteers to become outspoken hunger advocates in our community. When you donate your time to the Great Plains Food Bank, you become a partner in the fight against hunger in North Dakota and Clay County, Minnesota.
*We are now offering self-scheduling for our individual and family volunteers through our online Volunteer Information Center. The volunteer opportunities available through self-scheduling are mainly unskilled, bulk repack and food sorting openings. Group and skilled volunteers are unable to self-schedule at this time as these require additional preparation and screening prior to scheduling.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have implemented the following guidelines for our volunteers:
- We CANNOT accept volunteers that:
- Are not feeling well, especially if they have a fever or cough.
- Have traveled internationally or traveled domestically to a COVID-19 "hot spot" and returned less than 14 days ago.
- Who have been or likely have been exposed to COVID-19.
- Our volunteers MUST:
- Wear masks at all times while they are inside the Great Plains Food Bank warehouse.
- Wash hands immediately upon entering the volunteer center.
- Put on gloves immediately after washing hands.
- Rewash hands and put on new gloves after using the restroom or any time they have removed their gloves.
- Avoid touching their eyes, nose or mouth and wash their hands and put on new gloves if they do.
- Cover their nose and mouth if they sneeze or cough then wash your hands and put on new gloves.
- Practice social distancing at all times.
- Volunteers will be led back to the volunteer center where they will wash their hands, put on gloves and be given instructions for their shift.
- Projects will be set up to allow for social distancing.
- Volunteer staff will also practice social distancing.
- The volunteer area and equipment will be thoroughly sanitized between each shift.
- We are currently limited the number of volunteers for each shift to 10 individuals.
We are limiting volunteer shifts to an hour and 45 minutes at a time, which will allow us time between each shift to clean and sanitize all volunteer work areas, and limit the total number of volunteers to 10 or fewer individuals for each shift.
Volunteer shifts currently are Monday through Friday and listed here:
Shift 1 - 8:30 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.
Shift 2 - 11:00 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
Shift 3 - 2:00 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Shift 4 - 4:30 p.m. - 6:15 p.m.
BECOME A RURAL OUTREACH CHAMPION (VOLUNTEER)
The Great Plains Food Bank needs volunteer assistance in operating its Mobile Food Pantry and Pop-up Perishable Food Program distributions. We need dedicated individuals in each community to assist with the planning and operation of each distribution. SIGN UP HERE TO BECOME A RURAL OUTREACH CHAMPION.
Login to choose your shifts!
Click "Volunteer Now" below.